menu

Data Driven System

date_range 30/10/2013 01:58

Time for another update! In this post I’ll be talking a little bit about the back-end of the game itself, so any pictures that are in the post won’t actually be showing the game this time. I’ve still included some to keep things interesting. While planning for the project was minimal, I did think over the essentials around the time I started, and one of these decisions was to make the game somewhat data driven. This has multiple benefits, both for me and potential end users. Game data is easy to add and remove as items are handled modularly If...

The Command Interface

date_range 25/10/2013 20:30

I figured a progress update every 3 days would be a fair update interval, giving me an excuse to slack off for a day (which thanks to some determination hasn’t been necessary yet) as well as give some headway in case I get stuck on a module that I plan to discuss, which shouldn’t happen for a bit as I should have enough content for two weeks already, assuming I don’t go off and make a huge post for some reason. Either way, I figured the next topic I’d mention is the command interface – the bar somewhere on the...

RTS Project Introduction

date_range 22/10/2013 02:52

As I mentioned a couple of days ago, I’ve started on an RTS project. I’ve always enjoyed RTS games, since I’m particularly fond of systems that allow you to upgrade things or purchase stuff with your virtual earnings. On the other side I’ve always been terrible at RTS games so I never play them online either! Moving on to the actual development there isn’t much to go on right now. Every night for the past week  or so (Apparently the project folder was made on the 14th) I’ve been working on the game for a few hours, in quietness and...

Reflection – Operation Blockade

date_range 18/10/2013 20:58

Some years ago, I set out to develop a recreation of an old classic game, ‘Operation Blockade’. It was something I embarked on before any real programming knowledge and it was both a lot of fun and very educational. I attempted to mimic the game as much as possible, as it was a game I really enjoyed. Suffice to say despite my coding experience, I actually did a pretty good job if you can ignore the many duplicate classes as seen in the screenshot above (Whoops!). Unfortunately about half way through the project I had somewhat of a hard drive...

Site Transfer

date_range 18/10/2013 15:40

  As the three year plan from my old web host came to an end I’ve decided to transfer my hosting services elsewhere after having experienced less-than-spectacular website speeds among other issues. If you’ve visited the site before then that shouldn’t be hard to notice. Hosting is now done in Australia instead of the US and has allowed me to have more seamless experiences through FTP and other direct connections such as disk access. Having not posted anything for quite some time, I imagine this was an appropriate revival topic after a hosting services switch. As I’m writing this some...

Showcase

date_range 23/11/2012 18:30

I’ve added a showcase page to demonstrate some of my more interesting work over the years. Go check it out via the menu bar up top or simply click here.

Binary Packaging Continued – Now with fancy pictures!

date_range 22/11/2012 22:54

Well, they’re just command prompt pictures, but hey it’s better than nothing right? I’ve continued to develop my binary packaging system, awkwardly titled the ‘Binpressor’. It has now come fairly far into a stable release. Files can be packaged, and the utility can also unpackage files. Lets step through that. Here I have a folder that contains all the images I use as part of a Uni project. 84 textures, some of which are high resolution hence the folder size of 54.6MB. Let’s give the utility a test drive by packaging the contents of this folder! Files are recursively added...

Proprietary Binary Packaging

date_range 21/11/2012 00:09

With just over a week left at Uni, I’ve been finishing off items left over before I’m completely done (assuming I don’t fail of course). Meanwhile I’ve already began developing some theories based on some projects I can work on. I’ve recently began designing a modularised hybrid 3D game engine, developed by me with the exception of physics and sound libraries. Over the past few months I’ve been developing mainly with the Ogre3D graphics library, and although it’s flexible, matured and powerful, I’d like to start my own process, partially as a great educational experience – a convenient bonus on...

Fast Look-Up Light Shading using HLSL & Ogre

date_range 07/11/2012 15:14

Over the past 21 weeks at Uni I’ve been in the process of developing a completely functional 3D game, resembling a third-person, stealth-based ninja game. With three weeks of development left until the final hand-over there’s a fair bit left to do. A major issue that arose somewhat midway through the project was performance due to the complex outdoor environments. The main issue was the fixed-function pipeline lighting system which was causing batches in the scene to be redrawn, resulting in both huge batch counts (thousands) and huge triangle counts (over four million). The way scene optimisation is set up...

Optimisations

date_range 19/10/2012 21:27

While posts with pictures are naturally more interesting, I decided to post a little experience post, since it’ll unfortunately be a while before I can show anything interesting that isn’t held under an NDA of some sort. While I’ve (hopefully) only got around 6 weeks of study left, I think it’s save to say it’s actually taught me a thing or two. I chose to talk about optimisations since it’s been rather crucial in my latest escapade, particularly so with a PC project, but I blame the other programmer. It’s only natural for programmers to do so, besides our badly maintained...