Well, I got the bugs, at the least ones that I know of, sorted so far. So I decided to work on a new unit. I wasn’t sure what to add next, although most likely the ‘destroyer’ class ship, a slightly larger ship compared to the torpedo boat.
However, I knew there were still two boats, complete with their fair share of contents that came before the ‘destroyer’ in the storyline. Both of these being transport ships.
So I’ve got the first boat done, tweaking the path finding and getting it to somewhat smoothly crash into the island. The destruction works, and it slides back into the sea when the player shoots it, all as it should. It can even unload soldiers now as you can see by the creepy looking cube pictured up above. Now I just got to program the actual AI for the soldiers and tanks, which are two entirely different AI types from the usual two types of units in the game. Although they are still simple so it shouldn’t take long.
This also adds animation to the game, as I’ve surprisingly not used a single animation yet (plane propellers yet to be animated, as well as a few bits of the guns). I won’t have the soldiers as sprites this time as the original game had them, so I’ll have to figure out a way to make my own little 3D soldiers. The tanks shouldn’t be a problem either, and I’ll probably have that done in roughly the same time as it takes me to do the soldiers, although a bit less for the lack of human movement animation.
I encountered another amusing bug during the ‘unloading’ portion of the troop carrier. I was trying to achieve the boat to ignore the collisions of the troops so they wouldn’t fly straight out and have them smoothly leave the ship. Instead, I incorrectly wrote the code backwards, and instead of giving me a compile error or crashing, it started spewing out hundreds of those white test passengers everywhere. I didn’t catch a screenshot of it since it was starting to cause quite a performance hit but it was amusing nonetheless.